Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review of P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

Click on the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han

I can't decide between 3 to 4 stars, so I gave it 3 based on the ending.

It honestly pains me to give it that low of a rating. I had such HIGH expectations for this book because To All the Boys I've Loved Before killed me. It was SO good and I went in all Team Peter.

Oh, how things changed.

The book missed its little sparkle that is Jenny Han's signature. I feel like a lot of really cute moments were glossed over and not really treasured- whether it be with Kitty, Peter, or John. I wish she could have expanded more on those moments. Don't even get me started on that ending. The resolution was WAY too quick and I was left extremely dissatisfied- more on that later.

The writing was nice although I felt at times, Lara Jean sounded like a middle schooler until Jenny Han brought up she was a junior. As a junior going on senior, I can confidently say that we do not talk like that. But that was only for the first half of the book; then she began talking like a normal teenager. I related to Lara Jean A LOT in terms of her idealistic goals (for the retirement home, for parties) and her love for love. As a teenager, I would say most of us are in love with love and I definitely pine for a lot of guys like she does. I loved the sweet moments between her and Kitty and her family. And Stormy. And John.

That brings on the love square. It was the basis of the entire story and I was SO FRUSTRATED. Yes, Peter and Lara Jean were totally cute together. But I think their relationship was kinda veering off track due to Lara Jean's jealousy of Gene and the fact that it was TOTALLY justified! I know many say that it's just a trademark of Peter (his confident, arrogant self that many adore) but it irked me the wrong way how much he cared for Gene and put her before Lara Jean. It felt so unfair. And in the end... SPOILER: (when she pinned the blame on herself for being jealous, I was so MAD! She shouldn't have had to apologize. I wish Peter acknowledged his part in it) END OF SPOILER I got even more put off by the ripped-off poem and his taking back the necklace. I wasn't pleased with Peter and felt like he wasn't putting enough into the relationship... As for John, I immediately shipped Lara Jean with John. They have so much in common (unlike she and Peter a lot of the time) and both liked each other. What more not to like? He treats her so well and prioritizes her. And makes time for her. I just wish we got to see more John. I am upset that Jenny Han used John like a plot device even though I took him so seriously. UGH I WISH JOHN HAD A CHANCE. :(

That ending still has me upset and scratching my head. I just wish the ending was different. :/

xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment