Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Cheeky Review of All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Click the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

First off, sorry I haven't been posting much. I've been in a reading slump. This book kind of made it worse/better. To make up for it, I've been "summer cleaning," getting ready for my senior year. *gasp* Anyway, onto my review!

So I finished this yesterday and I was a jumble of emotions so I took a day to calm down and collect my thoughts.

I have no idea what I expected going into this book (I think I thought there could be a happily ever after?) and I was SO crushed by the ending. The story itself was quite interesting- I loved Violet and Finch's dynamic and journey. I did find myself skimming towards the end though... I found Finch's thoughts sometimes to be so out of the world and unrelatable... it made me question a little whether anyone could think so many things that deeply (I'm sure there are, I'm just underestimating teenage boys.) 

Jennifer Niven definitely handled the subject of suicide well; she helps you understand more of the possible reasons and justifications a person might have in wanting to commit suicide and you really do learn to sympathize with the victim and the victim's family. I do believe that it isn't right to shame a person who has chosen to commit suicide; (s)he is a victim too. She just addressed this issue so tactfully while being very informative; I'm in awe.

Overall, it's such a great read that will kick you in the guts. I finished the book and got into that "existential crisis" moment where I questioned life after death... (watch danisnotonfire's video on that, it's great and relatable) If a book can get me that far, it's doing something right.

I'll definitely get a book up to you all soon and I might make a post about senior year: expectations vs reality, responsibilities, stress, clubs, schoolwork, college apps... comment below what YOU want.

I love you all so much,
xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment