Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Review of The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Click the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken


Ahhh this book...

I'm disappointed by a book again. I had really high hopes because of the high rating but if anything, that made this book that much more painful.

Up to this point, I've read so much dystopian novels that this one seemed like a poor attempt at it. The ideas were not that original, especially with the camps. I found the whole situation very false and off- the whole world was basically like ours but just suddenly the children had these inexplicable powers- the author failed to clarify if these powers were inherent in humans this whole time or explain how they suddenly manifested. The whole failed experiment seemed improbable- I truly couldn't see how society could degenerate to it...

Once again, the romance seemed quite forced and present for the sake of having romance. I felt little sparks between Liam and Ruby...

However, the plot was pretty good, especially the end!! The book had a pretty clear direction up until Slip Kid and afterward... only downhill. The plot/story was the only thing that salvaged this book besides 3 characters that I loved/hated: Chubs, Zu, and Clancy. Each were unique in their own ways and in the end, I found myself loving all 3 (Clancy in a different way...). Chubs is #friendgoals and Zu is the cutest angel alive!

And the writing was pretty good. Nothing to really say on that front.

Overall, I mean... it was good, not great. 3.5 stars.

Next book will be good!! I have hope!! Will probably read Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen... while filling in the gaps with Hannibal! Leave your comments about how you feel about this book and Hannibal- would love to know!

Until next time,
xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment