Friday, August 7, 2015

Some Movie Reviews (Insurgent, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Cinderella, Guardians of the Galaxy...)

HEY people of the interwebs.

It's Jennifer. (I just did someone's YT intro.)

As some of you may know, I just went on a cruise and on the cruise, I got the opportunity to see many of the most recent films that I haven't gotten the chance to see. And so, I'm going to do a condensed mini review of each.

Insurgent: 8/10 

I heard good and bad things about this so I came in with reasonably average expectations and the movie turned out to be great! I honestly don't remember much about the book so I can't say that it closely aligned with the book but what I can say that it ended the same way the book did (it probably took different paths to get there though). I know many were outraged that they placed the sex scene in this book but I thought they made the timing very fitting and it was tastefully done. There were really nice visual effects regarding the sims and an okay plot that managed to get us through the movie.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: 9/10

Having taken computer science, I know the struggle when it comes to animation. And oh my goodness, I was blown away by the effects in this movie. Sure the plot of this movie was sub-par- I couldn't care! Everything felt so epic and I was just rooting for the heroes. Looking back now, I actually do wish there was more of a cohesive, thought-out plot but I won't fault them for it. It's clearly an action movie and action we got!

Guardians of the Galaxy: 5/10

Admittedly, I watched this at 10-12 at night so that might be the reason I kept falling asleep?? The plot was better than Avengers but I just found myself bored out of my mind and not invested at all in the protagonists. I was falling asleep during the action scenes!!! Yes, the raccoon (Bradley Cooper) was funny but the cartoon element just wasn't hitting it for me. The film was a little too childish for my tastes. I just can't give a movie that had me nodding throughout higher than a 5. Kind of a disappointment due to the acclaim it got.

Cinderella: 4/10

It was literally what you expect from any movie like this. I missed the intro (I don't know how long it was) but I came in when she was at the first ball. I felt like the movie was too short (in regards to the time of the first ball to her marriage with the prince) and nothing eventful happened. Maybe the intro had some deep stuff but from what I watched, it felt insufficient.

Unbroken: 7/10

This really wasn't my type of movie. I had no idea what it was going into it. I came in about 30 mins late so I was at the raft scene. It was so gripping though and I found myself just on Louis' side and praying they made it to safety. I left the movie at the POW camp (because my cousins wanted me to) but now that I know it was produced/directed by Angelina Jolie, I wish I could have finished it to give you all a more accurate review. From the 20 minutes I watched, it seemed to be an accurate portrayal and very stark and grim.

The Fault in Our Stars (TFIOS): 9/10

I got to watch this again! I disliked the book (forgive me, I think it's just the way John Green writes) but I enjoyed the movie! It does seem to align well with the book and it has every element that a movie should have. A good plot, script, and message. And a great cast. I don't know... this movie just gives me fuzzies, yanno?

Night of the Museum: Secret of the Tomb: 7/10

I had no idea there was a sequel. I really didn't want to watch but my cousins dragged me into it. I had a rough time getting into it (perhaps because I had grown out of it) and it had a weird plot that I sometimes couldn't follow but it managed to pull me in with its humor and charm and I left with a smile on my face.

Into the Woods: 8/10

This movie/musical was really great! I only watched about 20-30 minutes of it so I'm speaking off of that short snippet but I found the portrayals of the different tales accurate and creative and the connections between all of the storylines were epic! I am not a fan of musicals (I couldn't survive Les Miserables) so I thought this movie would disappoint but actually the songs were decent! Overall, I'm impressed and if I ever am really, really bored, I will finish this movie (although the ending seems obvious).




Should I do more movie reviews? Comment below what you want!
xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment