Friday, August 7, 2015

Review of Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Click the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen


Ah this book was good; it definitely hooked me in and didn't let me go until the very end.

This book definitely had its ups and downs for me. The MAJOR down for me was the main character herself and her decisions. I felt like the MC was the complete opposite of me and made so many stupid decisions that I just "couldn't." I would almost abandon the book because of her but then Sarah Dessen with her oh so amazing writing would just make her relatable and I could then see the rationale behind all of her choices- which is pretty amazing considering her decisions were all really poor...

This book definitely centers on the friendship between Halley and Scarlett; she portrays their friendship well. The romance definitely took a backseat which was kind of a shame, since I was looking for a romance... and this romance was definitely not one of Sarah Dessen's typical ones... Macon had me squealing in the beginning and then it all went downhill...

Oh, I almost forgot her relationship with her parents. I think Sarah Dessen did an amazing job with the parents; she managed to portray them in a way from Halley's perspective where you can see how teens disagree so much with their parents but when you take a break from the book and think in your own perspective, you see the love and care the parents had for Halley and how wise Halley's mom was. You really do see the love (sometimes overbearing) a mom has for her child.

Overall, the story and writing was great; I just had a problem with a few of the characters and relating to them fully. Not one of Sarah Dessen's best but definitely not her worst!

xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment