Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Golden Lily Review


Click on the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead

Well... this book was slightly disappointing, I must say. I'll be brutally honest- not much happened. To be honest, if so many people hadn't pointed that out, I probably would've missed it. Watching Sydney's interactions with the other characters that I had grown to love, including Adrian (he totally deserves a special mention) was enrapturing and truly interesting yet more action really would have rounded out the whole book. But...

I loved Sydney. She's like me in so many ways. Seriously. She sticks to her beliefs and is scared to let them go, to risk the thought that maybe, just maybe, her beliefs are morally wrong. She is such an interesting character to read about and in some ways, she reminds me of myself. Her social awkwardness is equivalent to mine, or perhaps even less! (That's truly sad on my part.) In some situations, her naivety annoyed me but the more I thought about it, it was actually quite reasonable. Even the smartest person in the world might not understand when someone is asking them out. (Ahem. Totally not me. No way. Psh...)

Adrian is also another character I love! If you don't know, he's my book boyfriend. I'm not joking. I created a T-shirt just for him. I'm totally fine with being Mrs. Ivashkov. It has a nice ring to it! Anyway, in this book, you got to see the softer sides to him that you did not get to see in the VA series nor Bloodlines! I loved seeing him open up and he truly just pulled at my heartstrings. Especially because of how much he cared for Sydney. So, so sweet.

I feel the need to mention the whole Jill x Eddie x Angeline situation. I am a little frustrated with Jill but I won't reveal anymore. *lips sealed*

*lips unsealed* Aha, anyway, the romance in this book was awkward. Not because of Adrian (no way!) but because of Brayden. Ugh. What a jerk. What an asshole. What a bum. I mean each of my words. (I don't cuss unless necessary!) He reaches a whole new level of arrogance and I just wanted to slap him until all of cockiness disappeared! Sigh. Sydney sucks with guys which made me want to pull all of my hair out!

Writing was brilliant as always and the dialogue was so realistic and smooth. I was sucked into the story throughout. But the plot. The plot, the plot, the plot. It had no direction really and there was zilch action. Whatever action there was, it lasted pretty much a page or even two paragraphs. I understand Sydney is a little boring but SOMETHING should happen throughout 400 pages! Seriously! The story honestly had not progressed at all. This was such an eye-opener for me. Have her other books have zero action? Was it only The Golden Lily? My lapse of judgement has dazed me, as you can tell.

Ending this on a cheerier note, despite its lack of action, The Golden Lily truly makes up for it with its amazing character development and interactions that are so incredible to witness... I mean read about. :) You should totally read it. For Adrian. Seriously. You won't regret Adrian. *swoon*

~Two memes coming soon, guys!~

Heart,
Jennifer :)

2 comments:

  1. That's so sad that this book was a disappointment... :(

    -Jenny@YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete