Monday, February 22, 2016

Classic Review: Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

*Click above to be redirected to the Goodreads page!*

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy


This book isn't bad. I came into this with very low expectations after hearing it was sad, sadder, and sadder. Jude the Obscure definitely tumbled down that path. 

As I read this for English IV AP, I didn't finish the last chapter (just because we didn't have to & I spark-noted the rest) but my review still encompasses this novel as a whole.

I definitely dislike the portrayal of women in this book- they come off as manipulators and fickle which plays in more to the female stereotype. Jude was an enjoyable, gentle soul- I had no problems with him.

What I did have problems with were his relationships with Arabella and Sue. They went in endless cycles that bored me out of my mind. I do appreciate his message about marriage and the social criticism he subtly conveys about societal pressures on unmarried couples and children born out of wedlock...

Ok, the last chapter back at Christminster was f*cking insane. Honestly, I couldn't believe what happened. Everything spiraled downhill so quickly and overall, the ending made this book ever the more memorable and Thomas Hardy's message is engrained in my soul forever.

And for a classic, this novel was surprisingly easy to read! Might read Tess in the future...

xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment