Monday, February 15, 2016

War & Peace Review



This 2016 period drama was INCREDIBLE. I had no idea what I was expecting but this definitely exceeded any and all of my expectations. I have not read the book (although it's on my bucket list to read Tolstoy's novels) but I have heard that this drama was faithful. Now, I will begin to list everything I enjoyed (which was a lot):

1. The cinematography: The scenery was freaking gorgeous and breathtaking. They filmed the scenes so beautifully and artistically that really highlighted the backdrop they filmed at. I couldn't help but get emotional during certain parts due to the aesthetic. I feel like I haven't seen anything more gorgeous, truly. (HONESTLY, JUST WATCH THIS DRAMA FOR THE AESTHETIC, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!) I even enjoyed the transitions which were intentionally subtlely abrupt (you can figure out that oxymoron).

2. The music: The music is subtle and complementary; it doesn't take away from the storyline at all and it's a nice little touch. No lyrics, all instrumental & classical music that's appropriate for the scenes playing.

3. The stories intertwined: They paced this drama so well! Despite the incredibly long novel, I think the roughly 6 hours of the drama portrayed everything essential and even took the time to slow down parts that showed their true life. It was nice to see how their stories overlapped. Nothing was confusing; they explained each part well. I also feel like there was a good balance between tragedy and happiness.

4. The period aspect: I just watched Downton Abbey over winter break and I was obsessed. With it being over, I didn't know what could fill that missing part of me that craved period dramas- this satisfied it. It's definitely darker than Downton Abbey but it has the same visual aesthetics (I will keep mentioning that because l o v e). It has all of the gowns and courting and footmen and manners and gossip that I love to love from the 1800's. It followed the history books quite well in regards to the retreat and the Russians who burned all of their stuff to prevent the French from surviving the winter there. The little French and Russian accents were great tributes to the Russian novel despite this being an English drama. I found the costumes so enrapturing; they also made me wonder if Russians wear their outerwear always draped on one shoulder? I think the filmmakers took time to explore the historical accuracies of the events, language, manners, clothing, etc which I'm so impressed with.

5. The acting: Ahh, I've never seen Paul Dano act before this and I'm impressed! His scene as a prisoner retreating to France was amazing. It must have taken a lot to get that low. (Reminds me of Leo from The Revenant.) Lily James fits so well into that bubbly period drama character so she did well. I only found Napoleon a bit lacking. ALSO, Tuppence Middleton who plays Helene was really good because it took me forever to realize she plays Riley from sense8 and her character is the total opposite! She plays such a great seducer ;)

If you are a fan of Downton, I emphatically recommend this drama for you! Absolutely stunning and breathtaking!

xx Jennifer

P.S. Currently watching Signal which is the bomb-diggity- go watch it, it's a kdrama.

No comments:

Post a Comment