Sunday, June 5, 2016

Movie Reviews: Fargo, Silence of the Lambs, Deadpool, The Martian & Gone Girl

I have not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 6 but FIVE MOVIE REVIEWS FOR YOU! I'll make these as short and informative as I can. AND SPOILER FREE!

Deadpool

Summary: Wade Wilson hunts the man who gave him an accelerated healing factor but also a scarred physical appearance.


There's nothing I exactly dislike about this movie except for its lack of originality. The plot of the film followed a basic superhero movie plot and I had difficulty connecting with any of the characters. I didn't mind the crass comedy or sex; it was expected of Deadpool. I like how he broke the fourth wall- this was pretty unique. I also enjoy that the movie didn't take itself too seriously. The action scenes were good! 

Overall, it really didn't live up to its hype so I am disappointed. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Gone Girl

Summary: Set in Northeast Missouri, the story begins as a mystery that follows the events surrounding Nick Dunne, who becomes the primary suspect in the sudden disappearance of his wife, Amy.


I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing except this film is popular. Naturally when the plot twist happened, I was absolutely shocked so I think they delivered that well. Rosamund Pike delivered on the acting and I genuinely thought everyone was psychotic in the movie... so good job?
And what an unsatisfying ending! 

I rated it a little low just because the ending (which I hate doing but it really hit me) and Affleck's acting to me left a bit to be desired. And there were a lot of cliches in this story besides the obvious plot twist.

Totally understand why this is popular!
                                                                                                                                                                                                         

The Martian

Summary: Damon stars as Mark, an astronaut who is mistakenly presumed dead and left behind on Mars. The film depicts his struggle to survive and others' efforts to rescue him.


A really great film in my books! I love the attention to detail and the chronicle of Mark's journey to survive on Mars. On the flip side, it did drag sometimes due to the excessive attention to detail- it is a 2 hour movie! Acting was good and I love how Houston was represented! Another thing that kept it from a 5 is how exaggerated everything was- how could a botanist make such engineering feats? And the final rescue seemed so lucky and coincidental. So many potential messups didn't happen- a little too good to be true.

Idealistic film that does ultimately leave you feeling satisfied! 
                                                                                                                                                                                                         

The Silence of the Lambs

Summary: In the film, Clarice Starling, a young U.S. FBI trainee, seeks the advice of the imprisoned Dr. Lecter to apprehend another serial killer, known only as "Buffalo Bill".


 This film deserves to be the classic that it is. Really original movie that is not afraid to break out of its boundaries. Superb acting by all, especially Dr. Lecter and Buffalo Bill. There were so many intense scenes, specifically in the latter half of the movie, that kept me on the edge of my seat despite living in the 21st century. For being made in the '70s, I think this film is excellent and a must watch for everyone!
                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Fargo

Summary: It stars Frances McDormand as a pregnant Minnesota police chief investigating roadside homicides that ensue after a struggling car salesman hires two criminals to kidnap his wife in order to extort a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law.


I had to watch this for an English project since this is in one of the top 100 films of all time. Perhaps it is because I am too young but a lot of the comedy went over my head and the excessive deaths didn't make me laugh or feel remorse- the onslaught of deaths did nothing for me. I really wanted to laugh since the premise of this movie was stupid (in a good way) but I didn't really laugh. This movie was pretty boring for me and the accents just irritated me.

If you enjoy "unique" films and "dark comedy," this might be for you but I can't recommend this.
                                                                                                                                                                                                         

I hope you enjoyed these reviews. I have been waiting for the time to review all of these. This is just as much for the people reading this as for me to chronicle the movies I have watched since my memory is atrocious!

Next movies will probably be the Imitation Game and Me Before You.

xx Jennifer

P.S. Summaries taken from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment