Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Review of a Classic: Poisonwood Bible

*Click the cover above to be redirected to the Goodreads page!*

Poisonwood Bible


WHAT A BOOK! I finished this awhile ago so my memory is blurry but I do remember the whirlwind of emotions this book left me.

The five different point of views in this book are so distinct and detailed; I'm in awe Kingsolver managed to weave a story without muddling the different perspectives. The character development is unreal, each character grows significantly and the experiences they went through visibly change them.

The story revolves around American colonization of the Congo. I find this a really true representation of that; the plot was definitely slow-paced but gradually built. A truly amazing storyline with meaningful biblical allusions. And the mystery of which daughter died really kept the book flowing and the reader on their toes. The book provided so many lifelong lessons as well.

Only considerable drawback besides the initial slowness was that the last fourth of the book was hard to read since the characters were in different locations and there were confusing time jumps; those made me disconnected from the characters.

Overall, I do think this is one of my favorite books of all time that I highly recommend to everyone. Although a long read, it is so vivid and life-changing. 

xx Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment