Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Heartwrenching Review of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Click the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

First off, before you guys read my review, I highly encourage you all to read the synopsis of this book in order to understand what I'll be talking about.

This book is about an incestuous relationship that develops between two siblings. Their love for each other stems from being neglected by a wayward, alcoholic mother thus having to raise their other three siblings by themselves. Their promotion to parental figures, in my eyes, cause them to love each other like a mother would for a father. 

Tabitha Suzuma's writing is gorgeous and effortless. It doesn't try to embellish anything but accurately relays what is necessary for the reader to understand what goes on behind Lochan's and Maya's minds as they progress in their forbidden relationship. Suzuma honestly made the progression of their romance real and natural. It seemed like it couldn't have not gone in that direction.

Of course, this book made me reevaluate what my views were of incest- something that rarely, if ever, crosses my minds. I have the same view when I first started reading it to having finished it- I think that although it should be accepted, the couple shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and no PDA. But of course, I feel similarly about gay relationships and even straight relationships (in terms of PDA). I think this book just made me understand incest more and be more tolerant/accepting. 

There's no doubt that this book left me questioning my relationships with my relatives. I think we all have those moments where we look at a relative and think "wow they're hot" or "wow they're so nice and caring" but we never cross that societal boundary and make a move on that. I am just THANKFUL I am an only child so I don't have to face any troubling thoughts after finishing the book.

Onto the story. It was SO good; I think Tabitha Suzuma portrayed the alcoholic mother and the effects of being raised by an alcoholic parent well- it affects so many people around the world. The family of 5 that they had was so heartwarming and real; they all became my little siblings. Each little detail about their individual habits (like Lochan's sore on his lip) and chores just made the tale vividly real and honest. 

But the END! GAH, the last couple of chapters were absolutely brutal. I cried and then sobbed at the ending (I type this as my tears dry and harden on my cheeks). It's such an agonizing ending but so fitting for this story. Any book that can leave me feeling this emotionally drained is AMAZING. This ending was nothing less than amazing.

A review I recommend y'all read is this one: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/120724743?book_show_action=false 
It's super funny and relatable!

I'm going to go calm my nerves down now and numb myself of all emotions. I'll be back with a review of A Court of Thorns and Roses!

Until then,
Jennifer xx

No comments:

Post a Comment