Saturday, July 4, 2015

Short and Simple: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Click the book to be redirected to the Goodreads page.

 A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

This was a really great Beauty and the Beast retelling! Gorgeous writing as always.

Throughout the story, I found myself making comparisons to Heir of Fire (as I had just read it and LOVED it) and that kind of made my experience less enjoyable. I kind of expected more fantasy but instead got more romance (which I was perfectly fine with! It fills in the missing romance from the TOG series haha.). However, I found the two main personalities similar to Celaena and Rowan and a lot of the Fae facts/fantasy so similar that it kind of had me cringing (the mating, iron, shapeshifting)... I kind of wish Maas kind of ventured beyond the Fae world that she is so comfortable with.

HOWEVER, the story is great! The first half of the book went a little slow but that was to build up the romance and the second half passed in a flash with all of the action- I was pleased. And the ending!!! I am SO pleased with it- I absolutely don't need a sequel to ruin it haha. I'm thinking Maas will do another retelling centering on different characters in the same world...?

Overall, really great! I had really high expectations after TOG and she didn't disappoint!

xx Jennifer

(Happy Fourth of July, guys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment