Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 2015

This July has been HECTIC (and thus I now have a bit of a reading slump) and I wanted to update you guys on it as well as relive it for myself.

The first week of July (July 1-5) was very blissful. I had no events or activities so I just read as many books as possible (as you can see from the book reviews on my blog). On July 4, there was a BIG clearance at the local Dillard's Clearance Center so I went (how patriotic of me!) and managed to buy 2 potential prom dresses. The blue one below was $20 and the black one was about $15. WHAT A BARGAIN! The blue one does need a little sewing (because the embellishments are kind of coming off). Both dresses need a trim and hem but I will probably just ask my aunt to do that because why waste money on that, am I right?! Comment below telling me which dress I should wear to prom :)


The week after (July 6-10) was my camp at UHD regarding watersheds. I had no idea what a watershed was going into it and I still kind of don't but the camp taught me SO much regarding research and lab techniques since we were in a microbiology lab where everything must be sterile! (Bunsen burners, 92-well plates, micropipettes, you name it!) I had little expectations going into the camp but with all the free food and activities, it turned out to be one of the best! The pic below is my incubation of several colonies from a toilet seat (much cleaner than I thought)!


After that camp was the STEM camp (July 13-17) at the same location. It was two weeks but I could only attend the first week because of my cruise the second week. I actually had high expectations of the STEM camp because it was more well funded with more activities and participants AND everyone got a free TI-89 at the end of it (but not me; Woe is me). Of course, it had to not meet those expectations. Everything was disorganized and the information taught was either too basic or taught from professors with really hard to understand accents that I was left frustrated or confused. Half of the time there, the head teacher spent trying to sell the campers UHD and I grew sick of it after the first day... (Did I mention I got a 4 year scholarship to UHD from the first camp? No? Well yeah, I did. That's how determined they were for us to attend their school!) We also had SAT prep, even for the people who already took it and were satisfied with their scores so I was left nodding off at the end of every day when that allotted time arrived. On top of all of that, when I told the leaders that I couldn't attend the second week, they said that I could POSSIBLY get a calculator but I had to contact them again after the cruise. (which I did, and I have yet to hear back from them)... Not my most pleasant camp. A positive thing is that I got to do DNA fingerprinting (gel electrophoresis) which was awesome!! Here are our results:


During the past two weeks of camp, I TRIED and TRIED to read the Mark of Athena but had little luck. I just can't seem to get into it since it's been years since the Son of Neptune... (and I am currently having the same dilemma with Fragments by Dan Wells!) I also failed to keep up with the Journey to Splits by blogilates as well as my pilates workouts... I have no one to blame but myself for not making the time and lacking motivation. I also didn't pack for the week long cruise I had the following week... I left that til the Friday night before. Which was really bad because I also happened to schedule a dinner with my middle school friends that same night.

The dinner with them was actually a little awkward. I felt kind of out of place since many I hadn't spoken to in years and had become quite distant. People change and I could definitely feel the rift. In that moment, I remember feeling so sad and isolated but looking back now, I've come to terms with the fact that people change and grow and it's not bad to have different friends than the ones you started out with. It was at Carrabba's, an Italian place, and while it was good, the pasta/cheese was a little too heavy for me. I will never get along well with cheese. 


Then... came the cruise. We went with some of my extended family on Carnival Freedom. Y'all, I know Carnival gets a bad rep (understandably), but Carnival really does have GREAT food and good service! (It lacks on the entertainment... at least on the older ships.) So going into it, I wasn't really expecting much. I just wanted to be home with my books since the Friday before, I had picked up 13 books from the library! The cruise really did have no entertainment whatsoever but I went to the many dance classes (really fun!) AND THE FOOD. SUCH DELICIOUSNESS. My cruise schedule literally consisted of wake up, eat, sleep, eat, sleep, eat, watch movie, sleep. Repeat. The gourmet food was amazing (since I usually eat the same foods at home over and over). Carnival also had the latest films as part of their entertainment so I got to watch Night of the Museum 2, Cinderella, TFIOS (have already seen), Mockingjay Part 1 (have already seen as well), Insurgent, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Unbroken, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Into the Woods... now I have so many movies in my arsenal! I went to two of the three ports and died of heat- honestly, just staying on the ship is the best. Sadly, the last port, which I didn't exit the ship for, turned out to be the best because of the white fine sand and clear blue water. The other two ports had kind of dirty water and really rocky sand. Overall, the cruise was amazing because I got to relax and not stress about reality. (Although I found out about the Lafayette theater shooting which was heartbreaking, RIP.) I'll add a few pics of the many we took on the cruise.

 

Now that I am at home, I am filled with stress from school clubs to college apps... HELP. Any tips on how relieve stress, just comment below for me please!

BUT CAN I GET A HOLLA FOR THE DRAMA, HELLO MONSTER. BECAUSE IT IS AMAZING. WATCH IT!


Have a wonderful day everyone and enjoy summer!

xx Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment